Awakening – inspired by interconnections – features new work created by artists who participated in the 2021-2022 What We Need Is Here seminar series, an annual program exploring the role of art and sustainability.
This year’s focus was the emerging concept of the “Symbiocene,” a new era in which the interdependence of humans and the natural world is celebrated and prioritized. Through shared learning experiences, artists created pieces that explore the deep significance of the interdependence of species–even those we cannot see.
Participating artists: Gloria Adrian, Barb Bend, Stephen J. Gates, Deanna Grigus, Theresa Harsma, Patty Kuebker Johnson, Cheryl Maplethorpe, Lynn Pagliarini, Bonnie Ploger, Teri Power, Sue Rowe, Judy Smith, Krista Spieler, Laura Tiede, Jill Waterhouse, Linda Webster
Guest Curator: Anastasia Shartin
Awakening will be ON VIEW in the Mobile Art Gallery:
- Opening Party at ArtReach St. Croix on July 7 at 6-8pm
- William O’Brien State Park, July 8-10 (Friday, 6-8pm; Saturday and Sunday, 9am-4pm)
- Point Douglas County Park, July 15-17 (Friday, 6-8pm; Saturday and Sunday, 9am-4pm)
- Interstate Park-MN, August 5-7 (Friday, 6-8pm; Saturday and Sunday, 9am-4pm)
- Afton State Park, August 12-14 (Friday, 6-8pm; Saturday and Sunday, 9am-4pm)
- Walker Art Center, August 20-21 (Saturday and Sunday)
- Willow River State Park, September 2-4 (Friday, 6-8pm; Saturday and Sunday, 9am-4pm)
- Art at the Acreage, Osceola, September 17 (Saturday, 12-5pm)
- Art at Rustic Road 13, Hudson, September 18 (Sunday, 10am-5pm)
Join the What We Is Here Artists for drop-in workshops:
- Eco Haiku with Jill Waterhouse, Saturday, July 9, 11am-2pm – William O’Brien State Park
- Eco Haiku with Jill Waterhouse, Saturday, July 16, 11am-2pm – Point Douglas County Park
- Water Windows with Bonnie Ploger, Saturday, August 6, 1-4pm – Interstate Park-MN
- Found Object Creation with Gloria Adrian and Jan Hayman, August 13 at 9am-12pm – Afton State Park
Awakening and the 2022 season of the Mobile Art Gallery is supported by the National Endowment for the Arts, Xcel Energy Foundation, St. Croix Valley Foundation, RBC Foundation and The Phipps Center for the Arts.